Monday, December 17, 2012

Mmmm Mmmm Monday Mistake

Today's recipe I have eaten before and am OBSESSED with it.  However, when I tried to make it today, I made a critical mistake!  Disclaimer: I have never made pulled pork before. This was my first attempt.  It was not a successful attempt.  I will now attempt to prevent you from making this awful, terrible, no good, very bad mistake like I have done.  Here goes nothing!

I received this recipe from a good friend of mine who lives and loves by her crock pot.  But really, what busy mom/wife doesn't love a good crock pot meal to take the edge off of preparing dinner for your family during a busy life? I love cooking meat in a crock pot.  It's always so tender and juicy!  So pulled pork is a no brainer for a crock pot recipe, right?  Apparently not so easy for the crock pot impaired...eh hem...I may or may not be included in that particular group. Anyway, moving on.

Fist I guess I should share the recipe, THEN I will share with you all my awful, terrible, no good, very bad mistake.

Chipotle Pulled Pork Sandwiches
Ingredients:
1 Tbsp packed brown sugar
2 tsp salt
2 tsp garlic powder
1 1/2 tsp ground mustard
3 tsp chili powder
1boneless pork shoulder (3lbs) trimmed of fat
1 can (8oz) tomato sauce
2 canned chipotle chiles, finely chopped
1 Tbsp adobo sauce from canned chipotle chiles
20 burger buns
5 medium avocados, peeled thinly sliced

Directions:
1. Spray crock pot with cooking spray and turn on low. In a small bowl, mix first 5 ingredients, then rub on pork shoulder.  Place pork into crock pot, and sprinkle with any left over mixture.  Cook on low for 7-8 hours.
2. Remove pork from crock pot.  Let cool slightly, then shred pork with forks (or in my case, cut into fourths and place in kitchen aide mixer with paddle attachment on speed 4 for 1 minute) 
Drain liquid from crock pot, and place pork, tomato sauce, chilis, and adobo sauce over meat.  Mix well. If desired, add some of the reserved cooking liquid for desired moistness. 
3. Increase heat to High.  Cover and cook for 15-30 minutes.
4. Serve on buns with avocado slices.  Pork can be kept warm in crock pot for up to 2 hours on low or warm setting.  Enjoy!

Sounds easy enough right?
WRONG! WRONG! WRONG!
Remember those members of the crock pot impaired group? Ok, ok, I will finally admit that I am one of them.  All was going well with the meal, I cooked the meat, shredded it in my mixer (which is the easiest thing and takes no time at all, plus no mess!).  I tasted the pork at this point and it was amazing! Here is where I went wrong. 
You see where the recipe calls for 2 CANNED CHIPOTLE CHILES CHOPPED.  Well, when I was reading the recipe, I thought I read 2 CANS OF CHIPOTLE CHILES CHOPPED. So basically, instead of using 2 chiles, I used about 10.  OUCH!!!

This pork ended up being so hot, nobody could really eat it.  We tried toning it down with sugar and peanut butter (got that idea from my pulled pork expert mother), but unfortunately there was now fixing this mistake.  I am so bummed that I messed this up.  But note to self...read instructions carefully!  Hope your attempt goes better than mine!  I will try again soon though.  I  refuse to fail!

No comments:

Post a Comment